The Modern Viking Games
Many AlThings past, one of the elements that the Aliance kindreds chose to include in the annual AlThing was a modern recreation of some of the games of skill that our distant ancestors would have participated in during their gatherings.
The Modern Viking Games consist of several events, each testing the abilities of the participant in skills that would have been significant to our ancestors, yet still have some pertinence to the modern day. The current events include:
- The "Wood Run" - this is a sprint footrace covering 60 yards total (30 yards out, and back to the starting point), up and back through obstacles simulating a stand of trees.
- "Cut and Pilage" - this is a humorous reinactment of a Viking raid, where participants must navigate obsticles and "defenders", returning to their ship with a bag of "loot". The winner is the one that successfully completes the obstacle course in the shortest period of time.
- The Hammer throw (light and heavy versions) - an actual large hammer of specified weight is thrown for distance.
- The Axe throw (light and heavy versions) - a traditional style axe is thrown at a target, and points assessed for the accuracy of each throw (3 attempts in total). The winner is the one with highest total score.
- The Spear throw (light and heavy versions) - the spear is thrown for accuracy
- The Knife throw - thrown at a designated target, with points assessed for accuracy. The highest score after 3 attempts is designated the winner.
- Archery - one of the most traditional and familiar of the games, this fast-paced event is scored with the points (based on accuracy) of 3 arrows shot from a specified distance. When possible, a traditional-style longbow or similar is used.
- Caber toss (light and heavy versions) - the caber is a log of a specified size (weight/length), thrown for distance. This is similar to the caber toss that many folk are familiar with from Highland Games events.
- Tug of War - teams vie to forcibly pull the other team across a midline.
Modified versions of the above games are held for youth competitors.
Winners for the AlThing 33 Viking Games:
- Tug of War: Devon & Nathan
- Caber: Devon (only one caber weight was used this year)
- Wood Run: Devon
- Spear: Kollr Logmather (only one spear size was used this year)
- Heavy Axe: Kollr Logmather
- Light Axe: Alan
- Archery: Mitchell
- Cut and Pillage: Saga
- Hammer: Devon (only one hammer weight was used this year)
- Knife: Jarnulf Otter
- Wood Run: Jenna
- Spear: Erik
- Axe: Erik
- Archery: Gwen
- Cut and Pillage: Jenna
- Hammer: Erik
- Knife: Jenna